Sunday, January 6, 2013

Holiday Party MindFuck

Hey, peeps!

All has been quiet on the blog front because all has been easy & smooth (for once)!
I usually don't feel the need to write/spew/purge my feelings when life is humming along gracefully, but I've had an especially funky food week, so here I am.

I did something really (really) stupid this week, and I did it twice. I guess I'm a slower learner. I went to two holiday parties with this thought in my head: "I am not going to eat at this party. There will be tons of food and delicious snacks and everyone else will be enjoying them, but I will not eat one bit. I'm just gonna mindcontrol the hell outta this situation and overcome. I can do it."

Whaa???

Now that I write it here, I see how truly asinine these thoughts are. But at the time, I really believed I could do it. Turns out willpower is finite, my friends, and I could not. Fine, so I'll eat at a holiday party like everyone else does in the winter months. BUT herein lies the problem: Once I say that kind of thing to myself, I am setting myself up for a binge. I am creating huge, ridiculous, absolutely ludicrous expectations for myself that I cannot possibly meet. And once I realize that there's no way I'm going to be surrounded by delicious food and a party atmosphere and not eat, I realize that I suck and I'm not perfect like I was expecting I'd be. Let the bingeing begin.

Eating until I'm full, and then eating some more. Because hey, I already fucked this day up so I might as well really go for it and just feel as shitty as possible. I can go back to "normal" tomorrow.

It is amazing how even after this long, even after all of my soul-searching, my yoga practice, my 100 days, my self-awareness practice.....even after all of that, I become my 15 year old self again who is totally lost and caught up in a diet-binge-diet whirlwind cycle. UGH.

The good news is that I know what's up. I've been here before and I'll probably be back. No surprises in this story.

The bad news is that it really doesn't feel good, even though I know I have it in me to get back on track and keep on learning to love myself.

It's a strange thing, this tendency toward self-destructiveness and setting myself up to fail. But it's my teacher. It's how I learn and grow. It's how I keep moving forward. I'm not perfect and I need to remember that, over and over again.

Thank you, blog friends, for letting me share. It is more helpful than you know.

xoxo
Nina

No comments:

Post a Comment