Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Day Seven: Oh hey, resistance, nice to see you. Again.

"Being hungry is like being in love. If you aren't sure, you probably aren't." ~ Geneen Roth

So far, I'm finding it pretty easy to give up the foods that don't work for me. But eat only when I'm hungry, and not when I'm bored/sad/tired/excited...etc? Yeah, not so easy.

Why am I so resistant to making this change? I don't know. It could be that I've just been using food as a bandaid for so long that it's a really hard habit to break. It could be that I can come up with about ten reasons on the spot about why I need to eat at any given moment. I mean, it's nice to sit around on a rainy day like today and be lazy, veg out on the couch, and snack. It's pleasurable. But I want to move away from eating for these reasons, and move towards eating when my body needs to eat and not eating when it doesn't. And I can still sit on my couch, watch tv, be lazy, and save the snacking part for when my body is actually ready for it.

Some of the ways I talk myself into eating when I'm not hungry:

"Everyone else eats when they aren't hungry, too."
"It's winter, and so what if I sit around eating all day?"
"If I eat a lot today, I just won't eat very much tomorrow" (this NEVER works)

And I could go on.

Maybe it doesn't matter why I have such resistance here. It's interesting to explore, but it's not going to make the resistance go away. Instead, I think this is another chance for me to say, "Hey resistance! I see you!! HI!!!!!!!" And just let her (yeah, I think my resistance is a lady) be there. Maybe if I start being nicer to her, and making friends, she won't be so nasty with me. I'll let you know how that turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment