Thursday, December 22, 2011

Day Two: Details

Thank you to everyone who has extended support to me as I begin this journey. I am amazed by all of my friends and family. So many of you have written to me via this blog, facebook, or email saying that you can relate, so know this: You are not alone.

Since this project really isn't about the food, it's about addiction and my mind, I wanted to share some of the other things I'll be doing aside from what I will/will not be eating.

Here's a list:

- Eating in solitude without any distractions. I'm vowing to not watch tv, read, go online, or talk on the phone while I eat. I'm going to try to eat as many meals as I can by myself, slowly. I'll keep everyone updated on how this goes since I'm pretty good at shoving an entire meal into my mouth in under five minutes. Why is chewing so scary?

- Cooking in advance. Gone are the days of me being unprepared and getting home starving with nothing to eat. This is probably going to take the most discipline, because I don't love cooking. It's my goal to cook a couple of times a week, making enough to last me a few days.

- Not eating when I'm not hungry. I'm actually really excited about this. To me, this is part of the abstinance. I am giving up eating when my body doesn't need to eat; no excuses. It's amazing how many times yesterday I wanted to go get a piece of chocolate, just because. In just one day, I noticed all the times I was tempted to cover up my boredom, sadness, happiness...pretty much any feeling, with food. And it's not like I want to eat broccoli during those moments. I know it's only been one day, plus the cleanse that I did two weeks ago, but the sense of freedom in knowing that I won't be eating when I don't need to is incredible, and reminds me of why I'm doing this in the first place.

- Taking time for a meditative activity, like restorative yoga, meditation, or pranayama. I'm awesome at getting to a vinyasa class everyday, and not so awesome at taking it easy. If I can start some kind of meditation practice a couple times a week, it'll be a huge change.

These are just a few of the ways in which I'm trying to change and explore if I can be a happy person without the food roller coaster. I hope these 100 Days are the beginning of true liberation.


4 comments:

  1. For a lack of a better way of putting it, "saying thanks" at the beginning of each meal can really help you to slow down as well. It's not religious, but instead a spiritual thing. Taking the time to really think about where the food you are about to consume has come from and being appreciative of the earth for supplying it really makes you want to appreciate it more. I have that problem as well, I shovel food down my throat as if I was a starving child who hasn't seen food in months. It's a really bad habit, not only do you eat more then your body needs, chewing releases the enzymes that aid in digestion (whether you a raw foodest or not).
    Just an added thought.
    Good luck... and know that you are a beautiful woman.
    Love you,
    Chrysis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this reminder. I've been trying to take at least one deep breath before I start eating. It's hard. I also try to look out my window and thank the trees, sun, sky, dirt, mother earth for my food. And thank you also for the tip on how chewing aids in digestion...tonight when I was eating I noticed myself scarfing down my meal and I literally repeated the mantra "digestive enzymes, digestive enzymes, digestive enzymes..." Thanks for being my friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gotta teach you Ratatouille Nicoise and Mushroom (insert vegetable) a la Grecque... both are vegan!

    ReplyDelete