Monday, December 26, 2011

Day Six: Breaking Down Limiting Beliefs

Over the summer, my therapist suggested that I begin writing down my negative thought patterns when I saw them arise. And, to no surprise, many of them were triggered by food. One particularly enlightening (and embarrassing) thought pattern was revealed to me when I was getting ready to go to a potluck girl's night with some of my yoga peeps.

This is exactly what I wrote down:

On not bringing something homemade to girl's night...
- I'm not as good as everyone else
- I'm lazy
- People won't like me as much as they would if I baked something myself
- I'm not going to be a good wife because I don't cook
- Men won't like me because of this and they'll be disappointed

Um...WHAT?!?!
Amazing what I unearthed, isn't it?

Of course I can't get away with writing a blog on food and my feelings and not discuss all of the man, woman, and relationship beliefs that I have (although I was really hoping to...). I didn't even realize this was a thought pattern affecting me until I took time to write it out. And then there it was, staring me in the face. As my hero Kris Carr would say, it was a "needle off the record moment."

This is scary to share in such a public forum, but I know that I'm not the only woman out there who, after all the yoga, therapy, self-exploration, and journaling, has some kind of fucked-up belief system around men and not being "good enough." The day that I wrote these thoughts down and uncovered them, it was terrifying. But now that I see them for what they are: just thoughts, and I know I can choose another thought instead. These kinds of beliefs might always be present, consciously or unconsciously, and the point is not to get rid of them. I don't think I would win that fight anyways. The point is to notice them and then not be controlled by them. It's the same way in which I know that if I eat certain foods, I will be triggered to binge, self-hate, and move away from my own inner light. The thoughts will always be there, the foods will always be available, but I don't have to participate anymore.

I challenge you: The next time you notice a feeling of dread, unease, or anxiety, write it down. I bet you'll be amazed at what's really underneath the surface.

4 comments:

  1. you are amazing. I have so many thoughts like this that I convince myself to quash, but I think writing them down would make them more "real" and therefore easier to acknowledge and process, rather than just dismiss as a passing sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx Nina. I'll try that. As far as ur journal entry is concerned - all those things aren't important - what's important, what really matters in life is the wonderful energy that u bring to any situation. Thats why people love u. U know, that Ninaness. So smile and breathe in the beauty of u. And sigh it out.........B

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, writing really does help. it gets everything out of my head so i can see it all for what it is and stop feeling like my thoughts are running the show. thanks to both of you...big love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nina you are so brave to write all of this down.. I read your entries and I am so impressed. It is truly inspiring.

    I agree that when we write down what we feel in the moment it is terrifying to find some of the 'real reasons' we are upset or scared about something... no matter how much we convince ourselves about one thing or another- deep down there is oftentimes a completely different story being played...

    ReplyDelete