Saturday, January 28, 2012

Day 39: Recipe Time!

Cooking makes me feel like a zen lady and a rockstar at the same time. It slows me down, it grounds me, and it makes me remember what eating is all about: nourishment.
So why is it so difficult to do it? I think it's cause of my lady-friend, Resistance. Bitch.

I always find time to say yes to everything and everyone else in my life, but I never want to make space for taking care of myself. Can you say life-long problem that I will constantly have to work with? Yeah.

Anyways, I decided to put myself first this afternoon and cook! I'll share one recipe with you for a quinoa porridge that makes a great breakfast or snack.

It's based on a recipe I tried when I did my Ayurvedic cleanse with Dr. Blossom. Just like the kale recipe I posted not long ago, it's super easy and quite tasty.

All you need is a cup of quinoa, a half tablespoon of oil (I use coconut), your choice of nut milk (I prefer rice in this recipe, but only had almond on hand today, so that's what I used. Soy works too. As always, I go for the unflavored, unrefined stuff), and a half teaspoon each of cinnamon, cardamom, and salt.

Let the oil heat for a couple minutes in a large pot, and then add in the quinoa (it's a good idea to rinse the quinoa first, btw). Then add 1 1/2 cups of nut milk and 1 1/2 cups of water, and the spices, and let it boil. After a couple minutes, turn it down to a simmer and cover the pot. Done.

I put a little maple syrup in mine to sweeten. It's so good!

My goal this week is to create space in my schedule to cook and take better care of myself. We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment